Wednesday, September 10, 2008

out of step with the world.



When I was 13, I heard the song "Out of Step" by Minor Threat. The song was simple: "Don't smoke, don't drink, don't fuck. At least I can fucking think." It resonated with me. It affected me. I adopted it into my life. Up to that point, I had never drank a sip of alcohol, never smoked or done a single drug, and never had some sort of random hookup with any girl. And to this day, I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't have promiscuous relationships.

Being straight edge is a personal decision I have made. I have never and will never shove my opinions down other people's throats. My body is my body, your body is your body. Do with it what you like and I will do the same. I am allowed to have my opinions on the matter, and as the pattern has gone, you're allowed to as well.

All I can ask of people is to think about what they are doing, non-straight edge and straight edge alike. Don't waste your life on meaningless things. Don't get upset because someone is different from you. Lets not hurt ourselves. Lets not do things we'll ultimately regret. Think things through, formulate arguments, keep your head leveled.

Lastly, don't mix me up with people who claim edge for a fashion statement. I will never break. This is a life fucking choice, one I am proud of. If you find this laughable, fuck you. Phrases like "True Til Death" or "Nailed to the X" might sound silly, but I take pride in them. Don't wear them as a catchy phrase. Don't ruin something that means so much to me. This is about more than just hardcore, punk rock, a scene, or anything. This is about living a poison free life with a clean mind. This is about staying above the influence. This is about my own personal health and happiness.

I can't keep up. I'm out of step with the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

straight edge.